The Staedtler Triplus fineliner are popular pens but are definitely in the more expensive pen price range…. so here are 5 similar but cheaper alternatives.
All of the pens on this list:
- Write smoothly
- Have a similar style / appearance (e.g. tri grip)
- Similar ink colors
- Similar pen tip size
Plenty of colors (18 – almost as many as the 20 in the Triplus pack). The multiple shades of blue and green are a close match the the Triplus,
A pen no one seems to know about (but you should!) These write really smooth and also come in plenty of colors.
3. Inklab Fineliner
Plenty of colors for a fraction of the price of the Triplus.
You may have also noticed these look similar to the Papermate Flair UF (I actually think they write better and have nicer colors than the Flairs)
4. Dats Fineliner
A random find in a cheap shop here in Australia (Stacks). There are only 10 colors in the pack (as per usual, the ink of the yellow was useless – couldn’t see it on the page after writing with it). But 9 useable pens for $3 is a bargain. If you like the style of the Triplus but only need the ‘essential’ colors, this would be a good option.
5. Monte Marte
Another random + cheap pen! (also from Stacks)
Let me know in the comments below if you have any other favorites – I’m always pen shopping 🙂
More pen reviews
- Color coding and planner decorating: 10 Pen brands that are available in a pack of 20 or more colors
- What type of pens write best on correction tape? (gel pens vs. ballpoint vs. marker pens)
- Favorite Rainbow Pens for Planning (Roundup)
- Best pens for writing on washi tape
- How to color code your planner for school using pens
- Favorite places to buy planner pens (online)
Found this post helpful? Pin it!