After numerous emails and comments here on the blog asking which discbound brands are compatible with each other, I’ve included just about every possible combination in this post!
- Inkwell press and MAMBI are not the same page size (MAMBI is 0.25″ longer) so the 2 cannot be used together
- Typically all US half letter discbound are interchangeable (Levenger Circa, TUL)
- Typically, all A5 page size discbound are interchangeable (ARC & Dokibook)
- You can use A5 or US half letter with larger page size (e.g. MAMBI classic or the Inkwell press), however there will be a spare ring. There may be excess at the top of the page too
I’ve done reviews for all of the planners here.
ARC & Inkwell Press
The A5 ARC page size can be used with the Inkwell Press (7” wide x 9” high) – the ARC page will sit slightly above the top and there will be an empty disc space at the bottom.
The overhang above the edge of the page will still be protected by the Leather cover.
ARC & MAMBI
The stems before the half mushroom are longer in the Happy Planner than the ARC. You can use the 2 together, but the edges of the pages where the holes have been punched will be more prone to scuffs if you remove and rearrange pages often.
A5 ARC in the MAMBI Classic Size (Happy Notes)
ARC & TUL
Both are very similar so I thought the 2 would be interchangeable. They are… kind of.
The A5 ARC (if you’re in Australia and the UK) has a slightly wide page size (14.8cm versus TUL at 14cm). There is a slight gap at the top and bottom, and an overhang due to the different page sizes. You could use ARC paper in the TUL (and vise versa) I just wouldn’t use both half letter and A5 at the same time.
If you’re in the US using the half letter size ARC, it should be inter-changeable with the TUL (as the page size for both is 5.5″ wide).
The disc spacing and mushroom size are almost identical so you could use the ARC punch for adding inserts to the TUL. The TUL also has a punch but it looks nowhere near as sturdy as the ARC.
ARC (A5) in the TUL (Half letter)
TUL Half letter in the ARC A5 page size
ARC & Levenger Circa
If you use A5 page size in the Levenger Circa it won’t align perfectly as the Levenger is half US letter page size. I.e. same scenario at the ARC A5 and TUL. If you get the half US letter page size options for both, then the 2 would be compatible.
ARC & Dokibook
The Dokibook and ARC are both A5 page size. The disc size & ring spacing work fine together. The Dokibook has slightly longer stems than the ARC but it’s not very noticeable.
Note: the Dokibook punch in my opinion, is useless. You have to punch each hole individually. If you’re going to use the ARC & Dokibook together, definitely invest in the ARC punch.
MAMBI & The Inkwell Press
The MAMBI has a slightly larger page size (9.25″ high versus Inkwell’s 9″ high) so you won’t be able to use the MAMBI inserts in the Inkwell Press. However, you could use Inkwell Press refills with your MAMBI discs if you really wanted to. Just note the MAMBI stems are much longer than Inkwell Press. There will be gaps at the top and bottom (as Inkwell Press page size is 0.25″ shorter than MAMBI)
Inkwell Press in MAMBI
See the difference in stems
MAMBI & Levenger Circa
Somewhat compatible – the MAMBI stem is slightly longer, there is a small overlap at the top and an empty disc at the bottom.
MAMBI & TUL
Same comments as the Levenger Circa (the TUL and Levenger have the same page size and discs)
MAMBI & Dokibook Discagenda
Similar to A5 and US half letter, it works but there will be a spare disc.
TUL & Inkwell Press
TUL half letter will sit above the Inkwell Press Page size and there will be a big gap at the bottom. I wouldn’t use the 2 together.
Levenger Circa & TUL
This would be one of the best compatibility of this entire list. The half letter TUL & Levenger Circa are interchangeable. Similar disc size, spacing and the same page size. The stem is slightly longer on the Levenger, but it’s not very noticeable and I don’t think it’s going to make a big difference when you use the 2 together.
TUL in the Levenger Circa
Dokibook & TUL
The Dokibook is A5 so if you use it with the TUL (which is half US letter), there will be some overhang and slight gaps at the top and bottom. You could take out the TUL pages and use Dokibook inserts instead (and vise versa), which would avoid the overhang. Even though the page size is larger, the pages are still protected by the cover.
Dokibook in the TUL
TUL in the Dokibook
Dokibook & Levenger
Dokibook is A5, Levenger is US half letter so I wouldn’t use the 2 together at the same time. However, the disc hole, size and spacing are compatible if you want to switch the inserts.
These are the most compatible:
- ARC Half US letter & TUL half letter (the discs size & spacing are compatible too if you were to use A5 size pages instead of half US letter)
- ARC A5 can be used with MAMBI classic size (just don’t rearrange the pages too often as the side the page where the holes have been punched will become scuffed)
- ARC A5 & Inkwell Press can be used together
- Inkwell Press inserts can be used in the MAMBI (there will be a small gap at the top and bottom and the Inkwell’s stems are shorter)
- Dokibook A5 & ARC A5
- Dokibook A5 & TUL Half letter
- Nothing is compatible with the MAMBI Mini Happy Planner as it is smaller than A5 & Half US letter size
- Arcing my Plum Paper Planner – everything you need to know if you’d like to try it yourself!
- 10 Discbound notebooks for planning or bullet journaling
- Guide to Discbound Planners & Frequently Asked Questions
- ARC by Staples versus MAMBI – Which discbound system is better?
Found this post helpful? Pin it!