Being a planner addict I’ve tried many pens. My all-time favorite planner pens are the Frixion erasable pens by Pilot.
The Frixion ersable pens are my favorite pen for a couple of reasons:
- Erasable (and not messy). Unlike the erasers you need to rub out pencils, the Frixion erasers have something special that means there’s no residue and you can use it over and over again without wearing the eraser down and needing to get a new one
- I prefer the medium point tip (0.7mm) although you can also get them in 0.5mm and thicker marker style (more on that below)
- You can purchase each color individually so if you use a lot of one color you can simply buy one to replace, rather than buying an entire pack of pens
- they are not super inky. Some pens ‘feather’ the ink but these ones don’t
- They don’t show throw the backside of the paper
- They don’t smear or smudge
- They have a comfort grip where you hold it making it easier to write with
I recorded a video to explain how the Frixion pens work (including a demo of the magic eraser!)
To enlarge the screen of the video, click the square icon in the bottom right hand corner of the video (it will say ‘full screen’ when you hover your mouse over the icon).
The Frixion erasable pen comes in 3 styles
The clicker or retractable (my favorite style)
This style has a medium point (0.7mm) which is also my favorite thickness for planner pens!
I like the retractable style the most as I can use it one handed and not have to worry about the pen lid disappearing.
With a lid
The style with a lid also has a medium point (0.7mm).
the lid can get annoying as your natural instinct will probably be to put the lid on the end of the pen. But if you do this you’ll have to take the lid off when you need to erase something as the eraser is on the end of the pen not the lid. I don’t know about you but I find lids always go missing leading to pens drying out or leaving pen marks in my pencil case.
The style with the lid is the only style I’ve been able to find that come in a pack for a discounted price.
Fine tip marker
The fine tip marker style also come in rainbow colors – the tip is 2.5mm. I wouldn’t recommend these for use in your planner as the pen showed through on my planners. I find these are best for writing reminders on sticky notes.
The Frixion brand also have:
The only downside to the Frixion pens is that I wish they came in more colors!
Where to buy the Frixion erasable pens
You can buy the Frixion erasable pens from the following places (almost all of these will have them individually if you just want one color and places such as staples and Officeworks usually have them in bulk if you want to get multiple colors).
- Mega office supplies (if you want to buy in bulk) – Australia
- Ebay (worldwide)
- Officeworks (Australia only)
- Big W (Australia only)
- Woolworths (Australia only)
- Coles (Australia only)
- Staples (USA & Australia)
- Walmart (USA only)
- Jet Pens (USA)
- Amazon (USA)
Most places sell the pens individually. I’ve had better luck finding the packs online rather than in bricks and mortar stores.
My sister stocks them in her shop, Carefully Crafted (she ships worldwide). She also sells them in her Etsy shop (under the name Carefully Crafted by Jo). She also has a ton of other planner supplies such as the Happy Planner, Kate Spade New York, other planner pens and planner stickers.
Big W sell them individually and have a range of every color ($3.50 each – $4 each). I’ve also seen them at Woolworths and Officeworks for about $3.50 each.
You can also buy them in packs:
Pack of 6 with these colors: black, blue, red, green, pink and purple
Pack of 8 with these colors: black, blue, red, green, purple, pink, orange and brown
I have not seen the retractable frixion pens in a pack with other colors (only sold individually). Walmart appears to sell them in packs (if only they shipped to Australia!)
What are your favorite planner pens?