When my sister surprised me with a Minc foiling machine many months ago, the first thing that came to mind? Foil planner stickers! It had been far too long since I’d designed planner stickers combined with the oddly satisfying feeling when you peel back the sheet of foil to reveal shiny stickers = <3.
Want foil stickers to decorate your planner? They’re available via my sister’s planner supplies shop, Carefully Crafted!
If you don’t want to buy foil stickers and would prefer to make your own, here’s what you need:
What you need to make your own foil planner stickers
- Minc machine*
- Foil (my personal favorite is Heidi Swapp as there’s plenty of colors to choose from)
- Silhouette (cameo or portrait) including blade and cutting mat
- Silhouette studio software (free download here)
- Laser printer
- Printer ink suitable for use with a laser printer
- Label paper suitable for use with a laser printer
*You could use a laminating machine instead of the Minc – the ‘foiling’ process works by heat, but note I haven’t tried this as I’ve had bad experience with laminators in the past! The Minc machine is specifically designed for foiling so I’ll be sticking to a machine I know works well.
Foil comes in just about every color you can think of and there’s even holographic! My favorite foils are the classic, gold, silver and rose gold <3
How to make your own foil planner stickers
If you want to learn how to make your own foil planner stickers, I’ve added the tutorial to my ecourse: How to make planner stickers
Type of foil stickers
If you want to make foil stickers you can use the same templates you’ve already created for other planner stickers – very convenient! 🙂
So what can you foil? I personally prefer foil stickers with the foil background and white text or white graphic, but you could also do the reverse – white background and foil text, foil graphic etc.
The stickers that look best in foil (in my opinion) are icon stickers and header stickers (plus these types of stickers are functional and work with any size planner).
One of my past weekly spreads using gold foil stickers
If you want your pen color to match the foil, I like the Kikki K Write and Shine Metallic Gel Pens. Black pen also looks good with everything 🙂
Planner sticker tutorials
- How to make planner stickers for free using Silhouette Studio (Introduction – Video Tutorial)
- How to design planner stickers from start to finish (a sneak peak at my design process!)
- How to make planner stickers – creating perfectly proportioned shapes in Silhouette Studio (video tutorial)
- Favorite color tools for making planner sticker kits (all are free tools!)